There are many benefits to volunteering at the Gardens. You will have opportunities to meet new people and make new friends, receive practical hands-on experience, share interests and hobbies with others, work in a beautiful and stimulating environment, and make your community a better place to live. An added benefit is the satisfaction that comes with helping The Gardens fulfill its mission by providing valuable services and programs for school children, gardeners, nature enthusiasts, professional horticulturists, homeowners and many others in the community, and from across the state.
Volunteers are an essential component to the success of The Gardens. Without the continued support from our volunteers, we would not be able to accomplish as much as we do. Below you can read about the variety of volunteer opportunities available. No volunteer will be turned down due to lack of experience, but we do want to make sure we can connect your interests and experience with the Gardens’ needs.
- Gardens Maintenance & Restoration
- The Gardens Maintenance and Restoration volunteers are the backbone of the gardens team. Team members are willing to get dirty planting, pruning, weeding, among other hands-on activities. This position varies from day to day in accordance with the season and the varying needs of the Gardens.
- Plant Propagation / Production Assistants
- Plant propagation and production assistants help to assure the continued diversity and testing of new plants by assisting garden personnel in propagating and growing plants for eventual planting out in The Gardens. Volunteers will assist with and learn about seed and vegetative production of plants and assist with container production of new plants for The Gardens.
- Gardens Tour Docents
- Our Gardens Tour Docents are our guides of the Gardens, who work with tour groups to introduce them to the Gardens and help them discover its beauty. Our docents should be skilled in both communication and public speaking skills.
- Gardens Event or Outreach
- The Gardens hosts and participates in a variety of events and outreach opportunities throughout the year. Responsibilities could include educating others about The Gardens, helping with educational and/or craft type activities for people of all ages, or recruiting others to become volunteers at the Gardens.
- Gardens Youth Education Guides
- Our Gardens Youth Education Guides help us to fulfill the Gardens mission of engaging students in a living teaching environment and encouraging curiosity, discovery, and wonder for the natural world. Our Education Guides should enjoy working with students from pre-k through high school and public speaking.
- Gardens Curation Assistants
- Documenting and monitoring plant collections is a vital part of any public garden. Garden curation assistants help to document, label, and update records associated with the proper classification, location, and origin of the plants included within The Garden’s collections.
Interested in having your group volunteer with The Gardens?
Volunteering with your student organization or staff unit can be a wonderful opportunity for team building while giving back to the campus community. Currently, Wednesdays are our volunteer group days out in The Gardens, and are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The Gardens also hosts four, annual, community wide events where volunteer groups can be utilized:
- Fall Festival – TBD October 2024
- Holliday Stroll – TBD December 2024
- Hullabloom Fest – April 20, 2024
- Summer Celebration – TBD June 2024
If your group is interested in volunteering out in The Gardens, please complete the form linked below.
Interested in volunteering for a class assignment?
If you are looking for a one-time volunteer opportunity to complete community service hours for a class assignment or other project, please complete the service-learning volunteer form below, so that we can try to accommodate your request. Below is a list of service-learning workdays, which will be filled on a first come, first serve basis. If these dates/times do not work with your schedule, you are still welcome to volunteer during our other opportunities throughout the semester.
- Wednesday, January 31st :: 10:30 am – 12:30 pm
Tuesday, February 13th :: 3:00 – 5:00 pm(FULL) Friday, March 1st :: 1:00 – 3:00 pm(FULL) Monday, March 18th :: 10:00 am – 12:00 pm(FULL)
- Thursday, April 4th :: 4:00 – 6:00 pm
- Tuesday, April 16th :: 12:30 – 2:30 pm
Upcoming Volunteer Events
If you are interested in volunteering for any of the events below, please reach out to The Gardens at email@example.com.